Re: Roof collapse

>>> <Chanel1096(--nospam--at)aol.com> 04/27/00 08:52AM >>>
Roof Falls In on Fairfax City Firehouse

Bill, you asked what can be done other than putting some boiler plated in your specs making the erector or contractor responsible during erection.
My question to all of the Engineers on this list is why don't you hold the subs to the specs you have in the contract documents that are suppose to prevent this from happening?
I see all kinds of these requirements on the jobs we are bidding, i.e: detailing, erection, connection design done under the supervision of a licensed engineer, AISC certified shop, etc. Very seldom are these requirements enforced on the smaller jobs which is where most of the problems occure. Maybe the people with the lowest price don't have the extra overhead of an engineer or the cost of having the AISC certification. You know it cost money to have WPS's made up and even more to have certified welders.
I have seen jobs go to the lowest price people that have no idea why they should waste their money on engineers and  other non-essential people. But as soon as something doesn't work they try to unload their problems on the EOR.
So I guess my answer to you Bill, is to put your requirements in your specs and let the owner know why you have them there and that you expect the contractors  to use the qualified people that can meet these specs even if it has an extra cost up front. Otherwise go for the lowest cost and hope everyone's insurance is paid, but that also cost money so lets ignore that also and save a few more bucks.

Steven Powell, P.E.
SME Steel Contractors
Salt Lake City, Utah