From: Charles Greenlaw [mailto:cgreenlaw(--nospam--at)speedlink.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 1:43 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASD vs. LRFD

Scott, you have hit upon one of the general objections to sweeping code
changes which use scads of new terms, symbols and formulas: The effort to
cope makes one's head hurt.

I believe Christopher Wright was alluding to a tactic of "planned
obsolescence" being used by codewriters and academics for their own
purposes, which are other than the purposes given in prefaces to code change
documents and given as "reasons" to code adoption bodies.

"Slipidity" appears to be his caricature and mockery of newly coined
technical terms that put a spin of disfavor on older terminology and on
understandings that are in accepted use.

Charles O. Greenlaw SE   Sacramento CA
At 02:46 PM 04/27/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>BTW, what this bit about fluid mechanics...you're making my head hurt!!
>;-)
>
>Scott Maxwell, SE, PE

C.Wright had posed this: >>Imagine someone walking into a fluid mechanics