RE: ASD vs. LRFD

>You also need to keep in mind that a significant part of research taking
>place today structurally is seismic related.  Ultimate strength plays a
>much more important role in this research (i.e. how much ductility/energy
>absorbtion can certain elements/connections with stand).
I wonder if this is part of the answer--the need to allow inelastic
behavior as an energy absorption mechanism to resist collapse means
incorporating limit analysis into structural design codes. Then simply
extend this approach into other areas for the sake of uniformity, even
though an energy absorption mechanism isn't required.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw