RE: ASD vs. LRFD

>I believe Christopher Wright was alluding to a tactic of "planned
>obsolescence" being used by codewriters and academics for their own
>purposes, which are other than the purposes given in prefaces to code change
>documents and given as "reasons" to code adoption bodies.
Not exactly planned obsolescence--more like the tactic of making a
distinction to disguise the fact that there's no difference. Like selling
sizzle instead of steak.

>"Slipidity" appears to be his caricature and mockery of newly coined
>technical terms that put a spin of disfavor on older terminology and on
>understandings that are in accepted use.
Defendant pleads no contest. Why should politicians and cosmetic makers
get to have all the fun of creating the illusion of novelty just by
making up new names?

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw