RE: Light Gauge Info

No problem Ken. LGSEA is the Light Gauge Steel Engineers Association which
is based, I believe, in Tenn. They have done much, politically, working with
HUD and National Association of Home Builders to establish design
methodologies and standards for Light Gauge Steel.
LGSI appears to be more of a manufacturers standards organization which is
trying to create uniformity in the industry for section properties - which
have historically varied and been protected by each steel manufacturer.
Most notably, LGSEA is responsible (in part) for the UBC section on Light
Gauge Steel and the current shear values for plywood sheathed walls. The
work done by LGSEA differs from the values obtained in the APA studies
(American Plywood Association) specifically their APA Tech Notes 153 (I
believe it is called). The difference is that the HUD study done by LGSEA
noticed failure of shearwalls due to shearing of the screw attributed to the
heavier gauge steel studs recommended by APA. Therefore, the latest code
values are based on a 20 Gauge stud rather than a 16 GA. stud which the APA
recommended. The LGSEA or HUD values for shear are significantly less than
those of APA because it is controlled by stud buckling.

LGSEA and LGSI should be working together for standards, but your link was
the first I heard of LGSI (although I am not as involved in LGS as I used to
be).

Thanks again for the link,
Dennis