RE: ASD vs. LRFD

>There are no Bill Clinton-inspired "code enforcement police" armed with
>automatic weapons and breaking down the doors of those engineers who are
>unenlightened to the extent they won't accept new code recommendations, as
>you know.
Too bad my gift for unintentionally hitting Bill's hot buttons can't be
turned into revenue.

So 'forcing' was a poor choice of words. Suppose I rephrased that as 'The
issue isn't university involvement or even participation in Code
promulgation, but what seems to me to be an atypical push toward change
in methodology.' I hope that convinces _someone_ that it's an opinion and
not the latest attempt to call in the black helicopters?

>The code provisions, for pretty much any design code you can think of, are
>adopted through a rigorous balloting process.
I know the way balloting works from having served on an ASME Code
committee, and I think it's generally pretty good, if only because the
need for consensus forces considerable deliberation on everyone's part
before even small changes in methodology. My own experience, again with
ASME Code changes is that they are anything but arbitrary. Most, unless
the committees are drawn from mature industries where technical change is
slow, are beaten absolutely bloody before being adopted.

>The ONLY thing I really object to is what I consider "synthetic rationale"
>for dismissing LRFD as "flawed" or "forced down our throats by academics"
I don't recollect anyone saying either of those things. The consensus of
ASD users seemed to be that there was really no solid case for change,
not that LRFD was flawed. And no one said anything about "forced down our
throats by academics," either. My own perception is that academia seems
to favor LRFD in school, while engineers continue using ASD in practice.
I still find that noteworthy because I haven't encountered that kind of
pro-active instruction before.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw