Cross-grain Tension Failures

I have inspected a reinforced masonry building constructed in the mid-50's
and located in Riverside County. There is a typical condition where the roof
joists are hung from a wood ledger bolted to the masonry wall. The joist
hangers are bearing from the top - creating a potential for cross-grain
tension failure.
The building (a bowling alley) is being converted to public storage,
although a small portion of it will be used as office suites. I have
informed the new owner of the potential problem and risk and have explained
the work that would be needed to correct the problem. He has no desire to do
the work.
I know that there is an ordinance to correct the problem with tilt-up
buildings but am unaware of any mandatory measures in California that would
require the owner to upgrade a reinforced masonry building (block or brick)
with a similar condition.
Can anyone advise me if there is any mandatory compliance in Riverside
County to retrofit the ledger/joist connections to prevent
cross-grain-tension failures in reinforced masonry buildings?

Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant
structures(--nospam--at)engineer.com
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax