RE: What does AISC's Research Show? (Was: ASD vs. LRFD)

Bill:

Are you playing the devil's advocate or are you really so provincial?

IF, in fact, there is a design approach that is both easier to use AND
more accurate (thus holding out economic benefits to both engineer and
owner), it seems like the height of foolishness to ignore it simply
because it wasn't developed by Americans.

At the risk of stepping on your patriotic fervor, I believe that if
you examine the world scene without regard to national boundaries you
will find that "most of the preeminent engineers in the world" DO NOT
"come to the U.S.A. to study AND to work."  PERHAPS close to half of
the "preeminent engineers" study OR work in the U.S. at some time.  I
say perhaps because I haven't seen any real evidence to that effect.
Basing that conclusion on what is reported by the American media is
faulty unless your definition of "preeminent" is "what I personally
know about."

As a member of the International Association for Bridge and Structural
Engineering, I can assure you that the U.S. does not have a monopoly
on impressive engineering.

-Mike

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                   E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com
Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire Inc.              Tel:(206)292-1200
1301 Fifth Ave, #3200,  Seattle  WA 98101-2699      Fax:        -1201