RE: Retaining Wall Loading

I don't think you can safely ignore seismic earth pressure for a retaining
wall, although I have met designers who don't think it's an issue. The
Mononobe-Okabe formula, which is the one in the AASHTO standard bridge spec,
can be used for retaining walls subject to active earth pressure which are
free to slide a little at the base, but I think you need to modify it a
little if you have a rigid wall, as is probably the case if your wall is
doubling as a building foundation wall. I don't think it is conservative for
at-rest loads. Bowles' comments in his Foundation Design textbook seem to
regard the entire subject of predicting seismic earth pressure as a bit like
voodoo, and not worth investing too much confidence in.

There is a pretty good discussion of all this in Steve Kramer's
"Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering", Prentice-Hall, 1996. His methodology
for seismic pressure on rigid walls is based on research by Wood in 1973,
and there doesn't seem to be much else out there you can hang your hat on
for easy to use, day-to-day design. For deep walls, the seismic soil
pressures predicted by these equations can get pretty hefty.

Some  papers I have read about seismic loads on embedded structures suggest
that sometimes the soil damps the seismic forces, and other times it makes
things worse, depending on interaction effects with the structure. Unless
you want to get into elaborate finite element modeling, it's kind of a
crapshoot what to assume for design.

Good luck!