Frost depth - calling all cold climate experts

Hi,

I have a gold mine design project in Mongolia, for which a geotechnical
report has specified a frost depth of 2.8 metres (9 foot 2 inches).  This
has huge ramifications for footing design if all footings are to be located
below the frost line.

I would be interested on anyone's general comments regarding frost depth as
a design consideration, and links or references to information which may
assist me in dealing with this design issue.

Please reply to the group, as I hope to generate quite a general discussion
on the subject, which hasn't been well addressed in the past.

Thanks all,

Dave Meney
Structural Engineer
Perth, Western Australia (where the only frost line is in the beer fridge!!)