Re: TILT UP RETROFITS

I've done a few tilt-up retrofitting per div. 91 & 95.
Here is some of my experience in response to your questions.

1.  I doubled up sub-purlins as you have by nailing a new one to the
     existing. I thought of using A35 or even glue to connect the new 2x
     to plywood, but I abandoned the idea because I couldn't
    decide how effective A35 would be using less than ½" long nail or
    screws.  Obviously I couldn't use longer nails to prevent damaging the
    roof and I didn't have enough info. about glue. So, I specified
    that each sub-purlin which receives wall anchor to be placed at the
    panel joint which can easily be identified in the f field, since there
   are 2 rows of panel edge nailing at that location. By doing this you
    can use a higher shear value than 250#/ft which the code allows.
2. I usually carry the continuity tie across the building unless there are
   some large openings wider than 24 or 32 feet and there are no continuous
   purlins.
   In the direction  parallel to girders, I use the girder  as continuous
   ties up to 48 ft spacing.
3.  I've used wall anchors similar to holdowns that I've specially designed
     for this type of work which are fabricated by LA City certified shops
     on job to job basis. I couldn't use the propriety holdowns which were
     available at the time, right after the Northridge Earthquake because
     they had excessive deflection which was not
    acceptable to LA City.Some contractors still use our home made holdowns.
    I am told they are less expensive.
    If the distance from the base of the holdown to the wall was small, I
   specified double nuts but if it was more than 3" to 4" I specified wood
   blocking.
    Anchor bolts are designed for tension, the compression force will not
   affect the bolt if the framing is tight which is a requirement for
    retrofitting but if there is any uncertainty you can calculate the
    length of the bolt, which can take compression before buckling.

4. I don't think the City or the County would accept that logic. That sounds
    like delayed design and incomplete work and I wouldn't want to be
    responsible for that  kind of retrofitting.  As a general rule it is
    easier to do retrofitting if the new roofing  could be done at the same
time.

Regards,
Karim

---
J. Karim Hosseinzadeh
JAMKAR ENGINEERING, INC.                 Tel. 949 250 0522
Newport Beach, California                              Fax 949 250 1527
jkh(--nospam--at)jamkar.com                                     http://www.jamkar.com