Jamb Steel in Masonry Walls

I'm having trouble finding a source for detailed information to design jamb
steel for out of plane loading. My first thought was to apply typical still
proportional to tributatry width of the wall, but that doesn't sound
realistic. For example, if the typical wall steel is #4 bars at 24" and you
have a 6'-0" wide opening, the tributary width would be 3'-0" plus 1/2 of
24" or 4 feet total. This would require (2)-#4 bars which seems reasonable.
But, if the opening was wider: 10 ft opening -> 6 ft. trib or (3)-#4 bars.
Hmmm...that doesn't sound too bad either. So, then what happens when the
wall design requires heavier reinforcement due to the height of the wall
like #6 bars at 16". If you have a 6 ft. opening (not full height, like a
window not a door), you would need (3)-#6 bars each side. For the 10 ft.
opening, you would need (5)-#6s each side.

Is this thinking logical or is it over-kill?

Any other references? I've looked in Amrhein and Schneider/Dickey and the
only place they talk about jamb steel is for in-plane loading.

TIA,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA