Re: Jamb Steel in Masonry Walls

Bill:

I design jamb reinforcing similar to your description except many times
I am doing it for an unreinforced wall in a non-seismic zone. I assume a
certain width of wall past the jamb and calculate the lateral load on
1/2 the opening plus the assumed width adjacent to the jamb. If the
reinforcing that is required cannot fit in the assumed width, I revise
the calcs until it works. I have set this up on a spreadsheet so that I
can use it for any opening. Incidently, I do not count the first 8" of
the jamb since the lintel will bear on it and cannot get the vertical
reinforcing steel past the lintel.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.