RE: Web Stiffeners (& Thanks for the Slab Help!)

Title: RE: Web Stiffeners (& Thanks for the Slab Help!)

>I'd like to have a rational procedure...short of FEA how
>would one determine the proper cap plate stiffness
>for the 'N' calculation to be appropriate?

This very detail, the required cap plate thickness and all appropriate limit states are covered at length in the AISC HSS Connections Manual.

    https://www.aisc.org/publications/shop.asp?action="">

Essentially, you wind up treating the cap plate in a manner that is similar to how we handle concentrated forces and stiffener requirements for end-plate connections.

Charlie