Re: Marketing Structural Engineering Services

"Dennis S. Wish" wrote:
snip...agreed
The only way I can see to turn the trend around is to work from the end of
the chain back. The owners and occupants of buildings must be taught the
differences in buildings. I don't know how to do this with commercial and
industrial buildings as I feel the problem is not as prevalent there as with
residential. I have started working on a website - www.structururalist.net .
The goals of the site will be:

A. Attempt to educate homeowners who are looking to purchase or build. The
basic premise is that "All Homes Are Not Created Equally". The rest is
education.
B. Educate builders/contractors/framers so they understand how buildings
perform. Snip..
C. Provide a forum for building owners to get together with professionals.
D. Provide a link to SEAINT and the work of the committees so laypersons who
care, can learn how the process works.

In other word, I intend to try and educate from the end of the line
backwards. In this time of strong lobbies who are against more regulation in
code design, the only way to force education of the trades and of architects
who "pilfer" from a consultants fee to inflate his profit is to encourage
the general public and the insurance industry to force change. The more
professionals who attempt to do with will add justification to the claims
and help the building owner be more concerned with how his money is spent on
the structure.

Dennis S. Wish, PE

I like your thinking here Dennis and wonder how to endorse these concepts. One of the outlined efforts for the SEAU web site was to provide better public access and education. I know other organizations also provide some useful information for homeowners and others.

Making better information available on web sites is a good start. It will also be necessary to get into the print media with articles about structural engineering for buildings. Sunday papers offer a great spot for homeowners to educate themselves on all sorts of issues related to houses. Better PR here should also be a priority.

Like most engineers, I view the owner and developer as two distinct personalities and worthy of different approaches. The quality issue will hit some as important just as furniture and fixtures will delight others. I agree however that everyone who pays for something is entitled to sufficient information to help in it's evaluation. Most particularly to understand, as you say, that not all buildings are created equal.

I'm for making a dent in this ignorance.

Barry H. Welliver