Re: ASP - Application Service Providers - how will engineers re

>I have a cable modem service, but even then it
>is not as fast as working off-line.
The secret is to work on-line as little as possible. I've run large scale
FEA software remotely, and it's a great time and resource saver _if_
you're not sitting around waiting for the server to finish doing
something complicated. ANSYS (among others) can run from command listing
file--as if you were running from a big macro. You start the program and
log off the ASP server while your job runs. You may have to put your
command listing together by running a preprocessor interactively, but
that's usually very cheap and very fast.

The really great thing about doing heavy weight crunching remotely is
that your desktop machine isn't tied up while things happen and your hard
drive isn't cluttered with scratch and page files.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw