-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Nacionales [ mailto:alexcnac(--nospam--at)skyinet.net
<mailto:alexcnac(--nospam--at)skyinet.net> ]
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2000 5:56 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Maximum base shear

UBC 97 formula 30-5 page 2-14 states that
the base shear need not exceed the value of the following;

V=2.5 Ca I W/R

for zone 4, at less than 2 km from a fault and using
maxumum values of Ca and I, and R=8.5 for SMRF(Concrete) This was 12 in UBC
88

Ca = .44(1.5)
V=Wx2.5x.44(1.5)(1.25)/8.5
V=.243W

This says that  .243G  is a maximum for buildings.

Could this g force be exceeded by an  intensity 7
earthquake?

Thanks in advance.

Alex C. Nacionales