Flag Loads

I recall using a drag force of 1 pound per square foot applied to the
surface area of the flag. This value corresponded to wind velocity of
around 90 miles per hour at normal air density at around 70 degrees
temperature. The drag coefficient used was around 0.1 to account for the
summation of skin friction and a dynamic component representing flutter and
separation. The weight of the fabric and the flag aspect ratio affected the
drag force. I will be curious to read the 1986 Building Standards article
referenced by Rodger Turk. The office reference I used was from work done
by Hoerner on drag of flags around 1965.

Michael Krakower SE