Re: Swimming Pools

Nels,

we use the two following conditions as extremes, (everything else falls in
between) - empty with full soil pressure; and full of water with no soil as it
may be leak tested prior to backfilling.

Nels Roselund wrote:

> I have a project for renovation of a historic residence that  includes a new
> swimming pool on the grounds.  It is to be a square-cornered pool that will
> be finished on the inside walls and bottom with a tile mosaic.  It will be
> constructed into an excavation into soil.
>
> Where can I find structural criteria for design of this kind of structure?
> What kind of recommendations should I request of the soils engineer?
>
> I've got a copy of ACI 350R-89 Environmental Engineering Concrete Structures
> that appears to have appropriate guidelines including crack control,
> corrosion control imperviousness.  Are the criteria in ACI 350 appropriate
> for a swimming pool?
>
> I also have The PCA publication "Rectangular Concrete Tanks", 1998 edition
> that seems to provide the factors needed to evaluate the moments and shears
> in the walls and bottom of the structure.
>
> I visualize designing the empty pool as a tank structure retaining
> inward-acting active earth pressure or flooded backfill.  Outward pressure
> is less clear -- the walls will be confined by passive soil pressure, which
> will reduce the net outward pressure, but the relative rigidities of soil
> and tank walls would need to be evaluated in order to determine the net
> outward pressure -- is that what is done?
>
> Nels Roselund
> Structural Engineer

begin:vcard
n:Haverland;Kirk
tel;fax:920-734-9880
tel;work:920-734-9867
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:kirk(--nospam--at)larsonwi.com
fn:Kirk Haverland
end:vcard