RE: You Are Your Own ISP?

Thanks Bill and Dionysios (Dennis) for the information.
Dennis
It seems that the setup I have now, which totals about $80.00 per month is
comparable to the service you describe - DSL service 640/128 (or
thereabouts), 40mb web hosting (business class), 5 mail boxes, 2-gig limit
on downloads per month, unlimited size on upload (basic package won't allow
files over 4mb in size) and a number of other services.

Dennis and Bill,
This is what confuses me - especially about Bills reply: My DSL service does
not provide me with a unique DNS numbers, however this is included in my Web
Hosting Package as I am required to register a domain name (thus
http://wwww.structuralist.net). If I have the domain name on the web hosting
service, why would I need the ISP for email, Newsgroups etc. The way Bill
explains it as long as I have the Web hosting services with a unique Domain
Name, I shouldn't need the ISP.

Can you be a bit more elementary on this one?  Bill, the one thing that I
will never do (excuse me for being so emphatic) is hire a consultant when it
is something that I can learn to do. Networking is new to me but I've been
building my own computers from the motherboards on up for over ten years and
there is not one that has broken down that I have been unable to fix.
Actually, this stuff is fascinating to me as I do very well (and obviously
you and Dennis do as well) learning on my own.

I'm not sure if this will interest you - it's sort of a side topic. About
eight months ago I bought a small number of shares of common stock in a
company called Meade Instruments (MEADE). It did well in a few months moving
up about 40 percent then back down, but staying around 20 percent more than
I paid. However, over one night it more than doubled in price and rose from
$23 to $53 a share. It peaked at about $80 and dropped back to where it is
hovering today at $70.00. Not bad profit if I should sell. Now the fun part
was I had no idea why it moved so dramatically until I found an article that
Meade (a well known manufacturer of telescopes and binoculars) signed a
contract with a small independently owned company out of Seattle called
Terabeam Inc. I suggest you visit Terabeam site at http://www.terabeam.com
and view their streaming video. It seems that the difficulty in bringing
networking services to already existing buildings is the last mile from the
point where fiber optics stop. Although underway, the cost to bring fiber
optics into the building is tremendous. Terabeam has developed a means of
"beaming" the last mile into a building where a receiver on the other end
ties into a wireless network throughout the building. Since the packets are
encoded, there is no chance (supposedly) of a security breach. All that is
needed is a line of sight connection. There are a couple of competitors
whose "beams" will work through a thick fog. Lucent has invested in Terabeam
and the video on their sight is very impressive. Mead will provide the
optics for the laser technology.

Thanks for the information and bear with me as I continue to learn of this
new technology.

Regards,
Dennis