Re: Roof deck reinforcing

John:

You will probably get a variety of opinions on this. I can tell you what
we have done for the past 30 years......and it seems to work.

Openings 12 " and larger require a full welded angle frame.

Openings between 6" and 12" require the deck to be reinforced with a
2 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 LLV angle field welded to each rib below the deck. The
angle should extend a minimum of 2 ribs past the opening on each side.
Each opening requires the angle to be perpendicular to the ribs. 2
angles per opening.

I like the idea of the cover plate that Roger had mentioned. I will have
to give that some consideration. Incidentally, what gage is .057"
plate....16? 18?

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.