From: Sherman, William <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 8:34 AM
Subject: RE: ENR Article

 I concur with those in the ENR article who say that the "decline in quality
of contract documents results from economic pressures".  In general building
codes and required engineering knowledge are getting more complex but design
budgets are getting tighter.  There is tremendous pressure to find ways to
"cut corners" to reduce costs and to be more competitive.  I also think that
the elimination of published design fee curves has caused engineering to
become "too competitive" such that the quality of work is suffering to meet
the lower fees.  In my opinion, this is one of the most serious challenges
that structural engineers face today.  Unfortunately, I see little action on
the part of national engineering organizations to provide solutions to this
problem.