RE: Roof deck reinforcing

United Steel Deck has a series of articles that covers these types of questions.  You may check their web site www.njb-united.com or the inside front cover of some previous Modern Steel Construction mags.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.
-----Original Message-----
From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2000 1:04 PM
To: Frank E. Stewart; Les Kuehl; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Roof deck reinforcing

When using 1 1/2" metal roof deck (1.5B22) spanning no more than 5'-0", we include a detail that specifies reinforcing for the deck at roof openings up to 8'-0" x 5'-0".

At what point do you say that the opening is small enough that reinforcing is not required?  Specifically, I would say that a 4" plumbing vent is OK without reinforcing, but a 24" x 30" roof hatch is not.  Somewhere in between is a cut-off size.  Is there a common practice?

John P. Riley SE
Riley Engineering
Blue Grass, Iowa