RE: Through Plate Connections

Title: RE: Through Plate Connections

>What is supposed to happen when you need
>through plates in each direction for a tube or pipe
>connection?  ...
>... It doesn't seem to me that you would get a lot
>of benefit out of just running the plate with the
>lesser load back into the other plate and butting
>against it...

It's an amusing detail to say the least. Unless you're at the end of the HSS as you said, I suppose you need a really short welder to crawl down into the HSS! (-:

Seriously, though, the AISC HSS Connections Manual covers both single-plate (shear tab) connections, which are made with a plate welded directly to the face of HSS, and their more expensive cousin, through-plate connections, which are made with a plate that penetrate the face of the HSS. It is expressed in that publication that the conventional single plate connection should be used whenever possible. The design procedure covers all limit states, including those to ensure that the column face is adequate without the need to extend the plate through the wall and make it a through-plate connection.

Through plates are expensive because they are laborious to fabricate, so avoid them if you can. And you almost always can. Avoid them especially when opposite through plates would intersect each other inside the HSS. If the plate isn't continuous to the other HSS wall, I can't see what good it does to extend it inside. It may actually do harm since you would have to hack up the wall of the HSS to make any kind of connection.

Charlie