single plate shear connections

Please correct me if I am wrong - and it is likely
that I am but it seems to me that there is a lot of
concern over whether or not you can weld a single
shear plate to an HSS face or not but there doesn't
seem to be the same concern when this type of plate is
being welded to a wide flange column web.  If I look
at the examples in the two green books, they are
silent about what the connection is connecting into.
Is this covered somewhere else?
Thanks again,
Ken Peoples