Seismic Design Manual - Vol. 2.

Andy,

I think that you are right in finding it appalling (substitute whatever word you like) that a seminal publication like this is not released earlier.

At the same time (my-fellow Cornellian) buddy Constantine pointed out correctly that it was a volunteer effort for the most part (e.g. do not expect much speed in the process). BTW I one of the several dozens of engineers reviewing some of the more bug ridden drafts of some examples of Vol.1 and 2. and could see first hand how difficult to get people to invest their time doing this.
I think it would be great to find alternative sources to finance this (pharmaceutical companies are routinly spending a fortune for semi-promo presentation dinners at the Beverly Hills Hotel or the Regent Wilshire, and inviting non-MD-spouses like me). So far I was able to get some Subway sandwiches for our staff when we have in-house seminars by vendors of various building products :)

As an alternative, I would suggest to put the whole Manual and the forthcoming issues on the SEAOC web site (even in a draft format) and assing a custodian to each example to make changes as people comment on.

While, this would speed up the process, it would strip SEAOC the revenue from the sales. And then there are some issues regarding who and when allowed to make changes...(I might be a bit naive)

Attila Beres, PhD, PE
Project Engineer

Robert Englekirk Consulting Structural Engineers, Inc.
Englekirk & Sabol Consulting Structural Engineers, Inc.
2116 Arlington Ave., Los Angeles, CA  90018-1398
323-733-6673, fax -8682        www.englekirk.com

Please note, that all communications from this e-mail address, that are not directly related to a specific project of REI/ESI are to be considered as my private opinion, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer.