RE: 2000 IBC and Cantilever Column issue

Dennis

The answer to your question is yes, however with some reservation. The exact
wording in section 1617.6.2 is:

"For light frame, flexible diaphragm buildings, of seismic use group I and
two stories or less in height: resisting elements are permitted to be
designed using the least value of R for the different structural systems
found on each independent line of resistance........"

The catchword again is "flexible" diaphragm. Pooh! I don't even want to go
there...

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA