RE: Protecting Steel from Rusting Due to Aluminum Mate

Title: RE: Protecting Steel from Rusting Due to Aluminum Mate

>Have any of you had to protect steel that
>has to be bolted up to Aluminum for exterior use?
>Is good industrial paint good enough?
>How does galvanization affect things?

Actually, I think if you put aluminum and steel in contact, the aluminum will start to corrode (it's lower on the cathode-anode food chain). Offshore structures are commonly protected from corrosion by attaching aluminum or zinc anodes to them. I'm not suggesting this as a protection scheme for the steel in your application, though.

Painting or galvanizing is pretty common, but I'm not sure what is your exact application. Better check with the aluminum people about the effects of galvanizing in contact with aluminum. The links here may help you:

    http://www.engr.psu.edu/ae/steelstuff/rust.htm

Charlie