RE: Seismic Design Manual - Vol. 2.

Peter:

I share your frustration and I understand exactly how you feel. This gives us one more reason to work harder and take charge of our professional association.

Last month I wrote a letter to the board expressing my concern over the existing committee structure. My biggest concern is that some of our committees are chaired by members who have NOT had a single meeting for over 12 months. Now, that is inexcusable!

We need to setup "Checks and Balances" for our committees and demand that they report to their local boards and membership every so often. The assignments to our technical committees should be very clear and the general membership should have a say in that. If a committee chair fails to meet three months in a row, he or she should automatically be removed and replaced by someone else.

My appeal to all Structural Engineers. Please get involved with your local SEA. Become a member of at least one committee where you feel you can contribute. With Internet, it has become much simpler to participate in committee work.

Shafat