Re: Ignoring Foundation Design With Site-Specific Geotechnical Reports/opinion

Chris:

In my opinion anyone who does not follow the opinion and recommendation of an expert
is generally entitled to do so, but does so at his or her own peril.  That is true
of a patient not listening to his doctor, an architect not listening to her
engineer, or a criminal not listening to its lawyer.

In this case if the engineer feels there is some reason that patching is adequate,
it is within his rights to go with his opinion rather than that of the geotech.
This may be the case.  On the other hand, if he did so for personal or client
financial gain he is being very unprofessional, and potentially broke if the geotech
is proven correct by Mother Nature.

Philip Hodge, PE