Re: Prestressed flat slab in seismic zone 4

Look at deformation compatibility very closely.  My bet is that you will
have a hard time getting shear to work at the column face.  I went to a
seminar given by Gosh last fall.  He told us that if you follow the '97
UBC to the letter, you can't get flat slab designs to work.  I am not
that familiar with '94.  I would assume it is very similar though.  The
problem is the hinging at d away from the column face when you push the
frame to (3/8)*Rw.  This will create a high shear demand.

Good Luck.

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT