Re: Foundation Design Without Site-Specific Geotechnical Reports

What Does Site Specific Mean?

In Bakersfield California, it is the local practice to perform geotechnical
investigations for each new subdivision and often for each new Parcel Map
recorded.  The geotechnical reports usually include drilling several test
borings, obtaining soil samples, performing laboratory tests on those
samples, performing engineering calculations for foundation design, and
providing foundation design recommendations in the form of a written report
called a "Preliminary Geotechnical Report," "Preliminary Soils Report," etc.
The Final report is issued after recommendations have been effected on the
grading plan for a development and the grading has been substantially
completed through finished pad rough grade.  Borings are not drilled on each
and every lot.  Lot without borings are included in the report as well as
lots with borings.

Question?  Would this practice consitute a violation of Texas Law, since a
specific investigation was not performed, i.e. borings drilled, on each and
every lot?

If not, could the results of investigations performed on properties adjacent
(contiguous to)  to the subject property be used to design foundations
without violating the law?

Would the answer to this question be the same if the adjacent propert were
not part and parcel of the subject development?

Tom Bayne