Re: Steel-Detail: Through Plate Connections

Maybe the question to ask is why are through plates being required. I know it looks strong, just like putting stiffeners every place there might be a concentrated load, however all these little things add great cost to the fabricated project. I would like to see some of the engineers on this list explain why it is necessary if the wall thickness meets the requirements of 9.3.3 in the HSS Manual.

Steve Powell,P.E.
SME Steel Contractors