Different Approacah to Virus Protection?

Nels,

It makes sense if you remove all vestiges of the virus from every place it
has attached itself *before* you reload the "known good files."  However, if
you have not removed the virus from even *one* location, it is going to
reinfect your system.  (You can accomplish the same thing as GoBack by
backing up your files daily and storing the backups off-site.)

Since it is apparently very easy to infect Windoze, and particularly Outlook,
the best thing is to select an operating system that is not susceptible to a
virus.  Otherwise, set your Outlook and Windoze defaults so that attachments
are neither decoded nor opened nor executed without the user's specific
direction and hope that Windoze does not change them.

I was at a meeting last week in which a computer projection was used.  At the
end of the meeting, the IT technician was closing down the computer, which
was still projected onto the screen, and there, in the middle of the
directory listing was the file, "I_Love_You."  I asked the tech if he knew
that he had "I_Love_You" on the computer, and he didn't.  His first search
was for, "ilove," which he didn't find, but when he searched for "i_love" he
found it and deleted it.  I guess that the appropriate way to search for
something like that would be, "i?love*.*".

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Nels Roselund wrote:

>>A letter in the L.A. Times this morning suggested a $69 product, GoBack by
Adaptec.  The writer calls it, "the best tool available to prevent virus
problems.  .   .   [it] allows me to take my computer file system back to a
time when the virus didn't exist, and bring the known good files back with

Is anyone using this?  Does this make sense?<<