Re: Do we need new codes every three years?

>I was thinking, do we really need a new building code every three years?
Sounds to me that the UBC needs a better interpretation service, so when
questions come up the appropriate committee gets a shot at explaning
itself.

Seems like I'm beating it to death, but what the hell, as long as you're
asking--the ASME Pressure Vessel Codes (with the force of law on all 50
states, and used as such throughout most of Canada, issues a new edition
every three years, with yearly addenda combined with errata.
Interpretations are also provided in answer to user's questions and
requests for clarifications. New provisions are handled as Code cases,
which are considered temporary and used under special guidance until they
are incorporated into the code. The system has been working like a champ
since 1919, and has successfully kept up with all the technological
advances the industry can throw at it. It's a pretty good model--if the
UBC or alternatives were run half so well, this list might not be
handling nearly as much outrage.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw