RE: Different Approach to Virus Protection?

Peter,
I think you are mistaken here. GoBack was written by a company called Wild
File, Inc. It had been on the market for about two years. It was purchased
by Adaptec only a few months ago so Adaptec only purchased the technology
and had no part in its creation.

It is not exactly a backup program and is not intended to replace backup
software as it will only write as much data as there is dedicated disk space
(generally a couple of days to a weeks worth of data) and it will begin
releasing the oldest imprints to allow the most current data to be written.
GoBack is intended to be  disaster recovery system. Here is a link that take
you to the FAQ page that explains very well what the software does:
http://www.goback.com/products_gbs_faq.cfm#Q1

The real value is that the software can recover from a major disaster
including a virus or system failure. "Unlike other data retrieval programs,
GoBack integrates itself into the Windows operating system and runs parallel
to Windows. This means that even if the operating system crashes and the
computer won't boot, GoBack can still rescue the system." If you have had
problems and can't start Windows, GoBack launches each time you boot the
computer. You have about 10 seconds to press the space key in order to
access the Goback menu. If you don't respond, the computer tries to boot in
Windows. If you hit the space key, GoBack launches and gives you the choice
of reverting to various times starting at the last saved time and working
backwards at each "safe save".  At some point you reinstate your computer
sector by sector to a point before any problem or corruption occurred. Then
it is business as usual - no trying to find the corrupted, missing or
altered file.

When reverting a drive, you chose the time from an Explorer type file
manager that lets you choose the hour and minute or see on the file list all
markers representing times of inactivity when a snapshot was taken AND all
times when the computer was rebooted. This allows you to isolate the time
when a problem occurred and go to the nearest safe time before the problem
to revert the drive. If this does not do the trick, you simply choose an
earlier time and try again. The actual reverting of the drive is a DOS
operation and occurs after shutting down Windows and re-booting the drive.

Backup software saves different versions of the same file in separate backup
groups. However, GoBack saves EVERY change in EVERY file. The number or
files or length of recovery time depends on how much of the drive is
dedicated for GoBack's use. This can be from a day or two to a couple of
weeks depending on your usage. There is an Explorer like interface where you
can search for all instances of any file and chose which version you want to
bring back. So the database functions are very good.

As I mentioned, the recovery file can contain a hundred different versions
of the same file if the file was worked on for a long period of time and
saved often. You can choose any of the hundred files listed to restore. To
do this with a backup set you need to know what set contains the version of
the file you want. With GoBack, you can simply choose the day, hour and
minute that you best remember the file you need existed and retrieve it.
EVERY FILE IS SAVED EVEN THOSE THAT YOU MIGHT EXCLUDE ON A BACKUP SET.  I
exclude bak files from backup, but there are times when a damaged Autocad
file must be restored from a BAK file. This makes the it easier to recover a
more recent version of the file (less work lost) than going back 24 hours to
retrieve from the last backup set.

There is a convenience to the software because it works transparently and
causes no conflicts with other programs.

I suggest you visit their site as you can download a 10 day evaluation
copy - more than enough to tell if it will be useful to you.

One more note - Norton Ghost may have changed to something like GoBack, but
as I recall, Ghost was used primarily to take a snapshot of the drive and
transfer a mirror image of the drive to a new drive so that it could be
plugged in and run without reinstalling any software. The version I have
only worked in DOS and had no Windows Interface.

There are, however, a couple of competitors to GoBack. I saw reviews of them
in Laptop Buyers Guide, but I can't remember their names. GoBack, was judged
the best of the bunch with one gripe by the reviewer. The size of the hard
drive allocation must be made when installing the software and can not be
adjusted without re-installing it.

Dennis