Re: Do we need new codes every three years?

I agree! Five to seven years should be plenty for a building code. Important
advancements (typically only seismically oriented) can be dealt with on a
supplementary basis. Rewriting the code just for the fun of it only
perpetuates a bureaucracy and really does not serve in the publics best
interest.
One clear example: how many jurisdictions adapt every new code every three
years? We are still dealing with plenty that are on UBC '94!

Shafat Qazi wrote:

> Dear List members:
>
> I was thinking, do we really need a new building code every three years?
> Really, I do not see new stuff coming up so fast anyway. I feel that if we
> change the cycle from three to five years, we probably will have better
> codes that will go through proper review process. Plus less confusion in
> our Industry. By the time we get to know the new code, we are then
> presented with a new one. This leaves us open to more errors.
> Your take on it?
>
> Shafat Qazi, P.E.
> SEAINT Admin

begin:vcard
n:Haverland;Kirk
tel;fax:920-734-9880
tel;work:920-734-9867
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
email;internet:kirk(--nospam--at)larsonwi.com
fn:Kirk Haverland
end:vcard