RE: Steel-Detail: Through Plate Connections

Steve,

I agree with you.  Through plates add an unnecessary expense.  If the wall
is too thin for what ever reason (like axial loads in the beam), I tend to
reinforce the wall by using a WT welded to the HSS wall.  Slotting the walls
of HSS columns is a lot of handwork.

Regards,
Harold Sprague