RE: Steel frame in the coastal environment?

Peter,

Go cautiously in the weathering steel area.  It depends on the coast.  Check
out: http://www.bethsteel.com/divisions/burns/bhweathstl.html

If the coast is fresh water, weathering steel should work with proper
detailing.  If the coast is salt water, weathering steel has had problems.
Some weathering steel structures near coast lines had to be painted.

For coatings, you should consider the epoxies and polyurethanes.  Or you can
also consider metalizing.  Check out http://www.cecer.army.mil/ for the
USACE Paint Technology Center.

Regards,
Harold Sprague