RE: More On Ungrouted Baseplates for Traffic Signal/SignageStruc ture s

The PCI Design Handbook for precast and prestressed concrete has a procedure
for designing this type of baseplate and anchorage.  It is in Section 6.10
of the Third Edition.  Their procedure is actually for erection and
temporary loads prior to grouting, but in precast concrete work those loads
can be pretty significant.  They do use bond between the anchors and
concrete in addition to bearing on the hook or bolt head, but you wouldn't
have to.  Anyway, they have a simple formula for sizing the base plate to
bear on the bolts instead of the grout.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street