Steel SCBF Yield Lines

SCBF yield lines

I just picked up the Modern Steel Construction magazine for May 2000. The
front has photos of chevron bracing. In the matching article, sketches show
yield lines not square with the brace. As I understand it, the yield line,
2" from the end of the brace, must be parallel to the cut end of the brace
and to the yield line at the opposite end. Testing has shown that other
assumed yield lines may result in a curved yield line and than tear the
gusset plate. Or is it that all cuts and yield lines need to be square to
the brace? Does anyone know? It looks like the shown method may not meet
either criteria. What is the proctice by those who are designing SCBFs?

David Merrick, SE