Moment Frame Connections

It seems this subject may have been discussed before, but I
am in quite a discussion at the moment on this subject.  My
question is:  Under what conditions, if any, are welded up
moment frame connections allowed in a seismic zone 3 or 4.
What restrictions, qualifications, requirements for use?  I
work in seismic zone 3, somewhat isolated and have been
using bolted moment frames since Northridge.  I am still
noticing welded up moment connections, and I'm wondering
what they know that I don't to be able to do this.

Thanks,
Joseph R. Grill, P.E.