Re: Cantilevered steel columns

To members of the code committee or any one who knows:

Why is the shear to steel cantilevered columns so limited or the entire
structure is penalized with a low R value for design in a wood framed shear
wall structure when it has to be designed with in the drift limits for the
story height and the properties of  structural steel and its performance for
this type of application are well documented?

It seems to be an arbitrary requirement that no one has yet to give me a
reasonable explanation for.

Thanks in advance,
Ray Shreenan

P.S. Shafat,  in light of the current code changes and lack of  proper
interpretations
as to their application, I agree whole heartedly with your idea of a longer
period of time between changes.