RE: Public Fence Sliding Gate Lateral Load

Charlie,

Your right.  This is an area that does not have much guidance.

If the gate is just for pedestrian traffic, I would look at the guard rail
LL ( 50 plf or 200 lb concentrated load) requirements as well as the wind
and seismic.  If the gate area has potential for passenger vehicle impact, I
would look at the vehicle barrier loads (6000 lbs).  If the gate area has
potential for truck vehicle impact, I would look at the AASHTO vehicle
barrier loads (10 kips).  Obviously there is a lot more definition to these
loads in the various UBC or AASHTO codes.

For the wind loads:
If the wire mesh is cylindrical, you should consider the Open Signs &
Lattice Frameworks Cf values on p 67 of the ASCE 7-98.  It is the best thing
written to date that covers your application.  It has a provision for
rounded members and for the ratio of solid to gross area.

The ASCE 7-98 is the best yet for wind loads.

Regards,
Harold Sprague