Re: ASCE 7-98 and 1/3 Increase for Wind Load

The ASCE 7-98 Special edition contains everything except the earthquake loads
section.   The ASCE committee still had the EQ section in the works at the time
the special edition was published.  The special edition did contain the
provisions referenced in the IBC, and it needed to be available when the IBC was
published.  The EQ provisions, which should appear in the final edition, are not
directly referenced in the IBC, so they could come later.  The IBC includes it's
own EQ provisions in the book.  Eventually the IBC will reference the EQ
provisions in ASCE 7 - maybe in the 2006 edition of the IBC.

Ed Haninger
Fluor Daniel

ASCE issued a "special edition", copyright date 1998, of ASCE 7-98.  As I
understand it, they needed to have 7-98 in print so that it could be
referenced by the International Building Code.  I don't believe there is any
substantial change between it and the "official" 7-98 that was just
released.  However, I don't have my copy of 7-98 yet and in the mean time I
am relying on the "special edition" I received at the ASCE Wind Loads class
held last fall.

David Finley, P.E.