RE: Steel Connection Software

While I have not used the two DESCON programs extensively (i.e. done hand
checks to verify results), I have "played" around with them both.  They
are the best steel connection programs that I have seen to date.  They are
both Windoze based which helps make them user friendly.

DESCON Win does standard beam-to-column web, beam-to-column flange,
beam-to-girder, and beam splice connections.  It lists the ability to do
column splices to be included in a future version.  The connections can be
either welded, bolted, or mixed.  It can do gravity and/or moment
connections.  The program can be used to either design the connection or
"check" a connection (i.e. you specify all the dimensions and items).  As
you enter the information, a graphical display automatically updates
showing a detail of the connection.  The detail of the connection can be
exported to DXF, but everything will be on the same layers and have the
same line weight.

DESCON Brace is a connection program for brace connections.  It functions
similarly to DESCON Win.  The original version only would do WF braces,
but version 2 allows for tube and 2L braces.

Hope this helps,

Scott Maxwell