Re: SE Exam Costs

This is not the Western States exam but the National exam and I believe it is the cost from all states.  Washington has reverted back to the National Exam with a 4 hour seimic add on.  I also hear California may do the same.  It would be interesting to know why the sudden increase because when I took the Western States in Washington a few years back the cost was around $200.00

David A. Hall, S.E., P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2828 SW Corbett Ave
Portland, OR 97201
503-499-0280
Fax 503-223-2701
E-Mail dahl(--nospam--at)deainc.com

>>> Kipp.A.Martin(--nospam--at)us.mw.com 05/18/00 10:51AM >>>

I was just looking through the Oregon State Board newsletter and happened to
look at the costs of applying for and sitting the various exams.  I about fell
out of my chair when I noticed that to apply for and sit the Structural Exam (2
days), the cost was $590. I believe that this is the Western States exam,
similar to that given in Washington.  The cost appears to be between 100% and
200% more expensive than any I've seen for the SE exam.  I realise that this
also provides 3 years of registration upon passing the exam, but it still seems
like an excessive fee.  What are other states charging to apply and sit the SE
exam?

--Kipp A. Martin, P. E.
  Portland, Oregon