RE: Cold-Formed Steel Design Software

Thanks to all with suggestions on cold-formed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Allen [mailto:Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 11:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Cold-Formed Steel Design Software

I know of three options, the first two require a little effort on your part.

A structural engineer at one time was offering a "home brew" program that
apparently did just this. I believe his name is Martin Pohl. He was listed
on the seaint website. It might take a litte effort to find his site, but
that's one option. I think the program is about $200.

Another option is to buy the 1996 AISI Cold Formed Steel Design Manual. They
have well defined algorithms from which you can build your own using a
spreadsheet program or Mathcad. The algorithms for Zs only have conditions
where the flanges are equal width. Bummer. But, the manual is well put
together and has several examples. You can teach yourself cold formed steel
design from this book alone. It's about $100. Telephone number: (800)
79-STEEL.

Option No 3: If the two above solutions aren't good enough for you, maybe
you shouldn't be doing light gauge steel design :o).

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA