RE: AISC Code of Standard Practice

There is a difference though. A difference between unjust enrichment of the
owner and extras resulting from inaccuracies of the design professional.
Until our jobs are permitted (we are in California) we incude the verbiage,
"not for construction or bid" on the title block. Given the schedules
insisted upon by owners we are unwilling to allow a "bid" until we say the
f***ing plans are ready. Design in today's world is based upon critical path
where the critical path is the plan review agency. It is not uncommon to
submit to the authorities at 85% when only 95% would do for "bid". We
exclude these submittal sets from the ultimate "bid" sets. If they want to
"bid" the job, they do so at their own risk.

By the way, I only give to the owner if my "mistakes" resulted in costs that
would not otherwise have been incurred. Irrespective of the "bid", if it is
necessary to make the building stand up, then, BY GOD, I will not pay for
it!

I guess it goes back to the old saw, "How can you tell a contractor (or
owner, in some cases) is lying? His lips are moving!"

Mark Deardorff