Re: Mailing List for Marketing Structural EngineeringServices?

As a long-ago Bechtel Alumnus, I can't let this pass.

I appreciate the spirit of Bro' Steve's quote, but let's not make doctrine
out of rhetoric.

I was a "Cocktail Party Promise" (by Steve Bechtel, Jr., BTW) when Bechtel
was courting Detroit Edison Company.  Edison needed a couple of structural
engineers.  I was "loaned" to them in Detroit for "four months".  The
assignment lacked 18 days of being a year.

Sales?  Promotion?  Courting Clients?  Call it what you will, Business
Development is "selling".

Every time I call on a potential client, it's "selling".  Every time I do a
job, it's selling.  Every time I answer the phone, it's selling.  Every
time I get a referral, someone has "sold" me.  I have a one-line listing in
the Yellow Pages; that's selling.

Let's admit we *sell* and not get caught-up in political statements.  If I
can convince you that you *shouldn't* sell, I have lessened my competition.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561